Angel Karolyi (VEN) and Indiana 127 made the most out of the last day of competition at the Tryon International Equestrian Center (TIEC), dominating the $35,000 1.50m Suncast® Classic CSI 4* in the George H. Morris Arena to close out the fourth and final week of the Tryon Summer Series. Karolyi and Indiana 127 took center stage as the last pair in the jump-off, securing a faultless round and a winning time of 36.805 seconds. Earning second place was Margie Engle (USA) and her ride Abunola, who crossed the timers in 37.129 seconds, while third place honors were awarded to David Blake (IRL) and Binkie who clinched their third place finish with a time of 40.662 seconds.
The pair was one of four combinations to advance to the jump-off round and the duo was faced with three fast competitors in Engle, Blake, and Parot. Karolyi and Indiana 127, a 2002 Dutch Warmblood gelding (Indoctro x Voltaire) owned by Hollow Creek Farm, have been teamed together for four years and have earned multiple wins since the beginning of their partnership.
"We won the first major class I competed in with Indiana 127. We then went on to have a very successful 2014 season together, which included wins at Spruce Meadows, as well as a campaign in Europe," he explained. "I felt that after all of the continued success he had earned himself a well deserved break."
Karolyi continued to narrate the story of Indiana 127, adding, "I kept him in a program during this past WEF to stay fit and then he proved to me he was ready to move up to the international level and contest FEI classes. I had a plan for this week, which included finishing up with this class and it worked out well for us."
Karolyi went on to speak of the first round track and jump-off designed by Catsy Cruz (MEX), which saw four combinations move forward to a competitive test of the short course. "The first round walked pretty straight forward. In the jump-off, I walked fences one to two and there were eight steps there, but I decided to do nine considering the turn we had to tackle on the landing side," detailed Karolyi. "I have to always go a little wide on a rollback back to an oxer to give him more room and momentum to clear the back rail."
"I galloped everywhere I could, and honestly, I got a bit lucky. Going into the last line I even lost my left stirrup, and hoped for the best. The last two days I thought I was a little bit unlucky with him, but today my luck turned around," he smiled.
"I am very excited to go to The Colorado Horse Park and see how it has been upgraded this past year. I would love to compete there in the future," commented Karolyi. "At the same time, I am very excited about returning to TIEC in the fall. I am beginning to put a string of horses together that are well suited for these high level classes and it really comes down to hard work."
Karolyi made mention of the emotional importance of the win today for him personally, as it was his first international victory since his close friend and Venezuelan teammate Andres Rodriguez passed away. "My friends and family here have been celebrating him this week and all I can say is I hope he heard our anthem up there and was smiling."
Today's classes concluded competition at the 2016 Tryon Summer Series, which featured four consecutive weeks of FEI competition. The venue will welcome the United States Pony Club Championships East beginning Wednesday, July 27, and continuing through Sunday, July 31. All events throughout the week are free and open to the public. For more information on TIEC and to see a full list of results please visit www.tryon.com.
Final Results $35,000 Suncast® Classic Results:
1. INDIANA 127, 2002 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Indoctro x Voltaire ANGEL KAROLYI (VEN), Hollow Creek Farm: 0/0/36.805
2. ABUNOLA, 2005 Dutch Warmblood mare by Numero Uno x Voltaire MARGIE ENGLE (USA), Elm Rock Partners LLC: 0/0/37.129
3. BINKIE, 2006 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Larino x Hors La Loi II DAVID BLAKE (IRL), Pine Hollow Farm: 0/0/40.662
4. COUSCOUS VAN ORTI, 2002 Belgian Warmblood gelding by Nabab de Reve x Cash SAMUEL PAROT (CHI), Samuel Parot: 0/8/36.389
5. SERPICO, 2008 Irish Sport Horse gelding by ARS Vivendi x Aldatus Z ANDREW WELLES (USA), Serpico Group LLC.: 1/77.98
6. BONJOVI, 2006 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Verdi x Corland EMANUEL ANDRADE (VEN), Emanuel Andrade: 4/75.71
7. COPA CABANA, 2007 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Cartano x Cash MARK BLUMAN (COL), Stransky's Mission Farms, INC.: 5/79.47
8. ALVARINO 2, 2005 Holsteiner stallion by Acodetto x Caretino JUAN PABLO GNECCO (COL), Onlyjumpers.com: 6/83.39
9. UITTERAARD, 2001 Dutch Warmblood gelding by Numero Uno x Burggraaf MARK BLUMAN (COL), Stransky's Mission Farms, Inc.: 8/75.19
10. SLIEVEANORRA, 2002 Irish Sport Horse gelding by Voltaire x Flagmount Diamond RICHIE MOLONEY (IRL), Equinimity LLC.: 8/75.53
11. THUNDER D'AMAURY, 2007 Selle Francais gelding by Quidam De Revel x Plein D'Espoir IV DARRAGH KERINS (IRL), Darragh Kerins and Maarten Huygens: 9/77.96
12. TEMPTATION, 2003 Dutch Warmblood stallion by Mermus R x Nimmerdor MICHAEL DESIDERIO (USA), Tranquility Farm: 9/78.78
Source: Press release Tryon Equestrian Center / Pictures ©LizCrawleyPhotography.
This photo has been added to your cart !Your shopping cart »