USA won the Furusiyya FEI Nations Cup™ Europe Division 2 in Bratislava, Slovakia on Friday. This was the eighth leg of the series, and the competition had 13 competing nations in it. The American team shared a zero score with Brazil at the halfway stage of the Nations Cup, but when both pathfinder Catherine Pasmore on Bonanza van Paemel and third rider Megan Nusz on Dynamo produced double-clear performances anchor rider Kirsten Coe didn’t even have to jump the second round as the four fault result belonging to Quentin Judge was all they had to count and would be good enough for the win.
Brazil finished with eight on the board for runner-up spot ahead of Finland on 12 while Austria slotted into fourth with 13, and Germany finished next in line when collecting 16 faults. Sweden finished sixth when posting a final score of 19 faults, while Switzerland and France shared seventh place when each racked up a 20-fault total. Only eight of the 13 teams returned in the second round, and the host nation of Slovakia missed out when picking up 13 faults in the opening round.
US Chef d’Equipe, Kent Farrington, was well-pleased with the win. “It was really exciting for us to bring a team of developing riders” he said. “It was Megan’s first time competing in the Nations Cup and she jumped a double clear which is absolutely fantastic. These are four very qualified riders, so there is no weak link in the team. Kirsten Coe is the most experienced, which is why she had the anchor position today. Catherine Pasmore has a lot of experience, even as young junior and rider, so I knew she would be very comfortable with being the first rider in our team. Quentin and Megan both have very capable horses and are very competitive riders so they could have gone in either order: it was a toss-up. We did really well and, in the end, Kirsten got to save her horse which is great” he pointed out.
“Our strategy was to send a more senior team to Hickstead, which gave us the opportunity to bring younger riders and younger horses here to Bratislava to gain experience and develop. This is all down to the new format of the Nations Cup” he explained.
Farrington will be back in the saddle himself next week, lining out in the last qualifying round of the Furusiyya FEI Nation Cup™ Europe Division 1 league in Dublin, Ireland on Friday afternoon. “It’s my first time being Chef d’Equipe so I might retire undefeated and keep my record intact!” he said with a grin.
1. USA 4 faults: Bonanza van Paemel (Catherine Pasmore) 0/0, HH Dark de la Hart (Quentin Judge) 0/4, Dynamo (Megan Nusz) 0/0, Calypso (Kirsten Coe) 5/DNS.
2. Brazil 8 faults: Show Show (Alvaro Alfonso de Miranda) 5/8, Amemoi O Sandor (Pedro Veniss) 0/4, Clowni (Marion Zanotelli) 0/4, Dolores (Bernardo Alves) 0/0.
3. Finland 12 faults: Armani the Gun CH (Maiju Mallat) 8/4, Celestine (Satu Liukkonen) 0/4, Agropoint Cassius (Kaarlo Kovacs) 0/4, Fardon (Anna Julia Kontio) 4/0.
4. Austria 13 faults: Emir vh Molenid (Dieter Kofler) 4/4, Royal des Bissons (Astrid Kneifl) 1/0, Texas (Markus Saurugg) 0/12, Connycor (Stefan Eder) 12/4.
5. Germany 16 faults: Taquila (Sebastian Karshuning) 4/0, Cash (Simone Blum) 0/12, Dante de Joter (Thorben Kohlbrand) 4/8, Cassius (Andreas Knippling) 8/0.
6. Sweden 19 faults: Be Wonderful (Linda Heed) Elim/6, Duchess van de Zuthoe (Elin Janson) 1/12, Easy Contact Humlan (Mariano Maggi) 0/0, Newton Nickel (Angelie Von Essen) 4/8.
7. Switzerland 20 faults: Nouvelle Europe (Faye Schoch) 4/4, Oceane de la Taille (Evelyne Bussmann) 0/0, Nirvana Basters (Frederique Fabre Delbros) 12/4, Milor Landais (Pascal Bettschen) 8/Elim.
7. France 20 faults: Rhune d Euskadi (Marie Demonte) 4/8, Origan de Vains (Jaques Helmlinger) 8/8, Marlou de Etisses (Alexis Borrin) 8/0, Quastor de la Vallee (David Jobertie) 0/0.
9. Slovakia 13 faults IN FIRST ROUND: Centor (Andrej Holly) 8. Lord Levisto (Jana Slavikova) 5, Pinocchio (Monika Stangelova) 4, Concano (Bronislav Chudyba) 4.
10. Hungary 16 faults/263.64 seconds IN FIRST ROUND: Dr Oklund (Gyula Szuhai) 10, PM Jumping Lady (Balazs Horvath) 4, Timpex Cent (Gabor Szabo) 8, Chacco Boy (Szabolcs Krucso) 4.
11. Czech Republic 16 faults/266.87 seconds IN FIRST ROUND: Kallisto (Jiri Skrivan) 0, Luka's Ninja (Zuzana Zelinkova) 8, Bel Canto Hradiste (Kamil Papousek) 8, Zidande P (Ales Opatrny) 8.
12. Poland 24 faults/268.09 IN FIRST ROUND: Duke of Carneval (Radoslaw Zalewski) 19, Abigej (Marek Lewicki) 0, Zoweja (Marek Ludwiczak) 8, Denetor (Gregorz Kubiak) 16.
13. Italy 24 faults/284.28 IN FIRST ROUND: Fixdesign Chopin (Filippo Bologni) 5, Caesar (Rebecca Lippi Bruni) 11, Lucky du Reverdy (Nicolo Montini) 16, Calida (Federico Ciriesi) 8.
This photo has been added to your cart !Your shopping cart »