The ‘Canada One’ Tournament at Spruce Meadows continued on Friday, with two international competitions featured in the Meadows on the Green, and wins for USA’s Beezie Madden and Todd Minikus. Madden won the $34,000 Duncan Ross Cup 1.50m riding Abigail Wexner’s Simon. Minikus topped the $34,000 WestJet Cup 1.45m aboard Nancy Gooding’s Con Capilot.
The ‘Canada One’ Tournament features over $431,000 in prize money with top horses and riders from around the world competing in eight FEI sanctioned events through Sunday, June 28. The weekend’s headlining events include the $34,000 CIBC Cup, the $34,000 West Canadian Cup, and the $126,000 Imperial Challenge.
Peter Grant (CAN) set the courses in the Meadows on the Green for Friday’s international competition. The evening’s feature Duncan Ross Cup 1.50m saw 50 entries in total, with five advancing to the jump-off where Beezie Madden and Simon emerged victorious.
Margie Engle (USA) and Elm Rock LLC’s Royce set the pace with a double clear round in 44.67 seconds to eventually finish in reserve. Nina Fagerstrom (FIN) and Finca Horses, Inc.’s Flower followed with a clear short track in 44.67 seconds, landing the pair in third place overall. Madden and Simon took the lead next with their clear round in 43.37 seconds. Todd Minikus and Two Swans Farm’s Babalou 41 were faster in 41.05 seconds, but settled for fourth place with a rail at the final fence. Last to go, Sameh el Dahan (EGY) crossed the timers in 43.41 seconds, but one rail came down to put the rider in fifth place aboard his own and Joanne Sloan-Allen’s Sumas Zorro.
Second in all-time prize money winners at Spruce Meadows only to Canada’s Eric Lamaze, Madden is no stranger to the winner’s circle in Calgary. This was the rider’s first win in this year’s Summer Series, however, and she was happy to lead the victory gallop. “It is my first win here this year, and I was not here last year, so it feels good to win here again,” Madden acknowledged.
Both the first round course and short track suited Madden's mount, Simon, a 16-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding (Mr. Blue x Polydox). “When there are not as many in the jump-off it is good for me. I can’t always let him run really fast because he gets pretty strong,” Madden explained. “He was actually particularly good today in the jump-off and I was able to kind of keep him under control in the turns. He made really good turns to the double and to the second to last fence.”
“I figured Todd is always going to go faster than me and Sameh is also very fast with that horse, so I thought that I should just do what works for me and hope it was good enough. It ended up working out, but I got a little lucky,” Madden admitted.
Speaking of the first round track, Madden added, “It was an excellent course for me because the distances were all a little short and I could make my horse wait. Not only was it a good course for me to do, but it was also a good set up for Sunday’s grand prix for me. It was a very technical course to make the horse add strides and he did it well.”
After his winning round, Simon casually strolled in to accept the winning prize. Madden noted that he enjoys the ceremony and wears his winning cooler with pride.
“He looks like a hot horse because he is so strong, but he is actually kind of a relaxed horse when he is not in competition mode,” Madden detailed. “He knows he is done and he is going in for ribbons. He can eat some grass, so he likes that.”
Minikus Flies to Victory
Friday’s first competition in the Meadows on the Green was the $34,000 WestJet Cup 1.45m, which saw 77 entries compete, with 22 clear rounds to advance to the jump-off. Eight of those entries then cleared the short course without fault. USA’s Todd Minikus took the victory in a blazing fast time of 35.48 seconds aboard Nancy Gooding’s 12-year-old Westphalian stallion, Con Capilot (Con Capitol x Pilot).
Eric Lamaze (CAN) finished second with Artisan Farms and Torrey Pines Stable’s Rosana du Park in 36.71 seconds. Shane Sweetnam (IRL) guided Sweet Oak Farm’s Easy Contact Humlan to third place honors in 37.38 seconds.
Con Capilot was previously ridden by California’s Mandy Porter for several years and had a lot of good results. The horse’s owner then sent him to Minikus at the end of the winter this year to be sold.
“He is a beautiful, drop dead gorgeous horse,” Minikus stated. “He has great technique over the jumps. He is quick in the air; there is no wasted energy, and that is what it takes to win.”
Minikus showed Con Capilot in Kentucky this spring and explained that he did not have great results in the first two weeks at Spruce Meadows, but continues improving.
“It seemed like it took my horses a while to get going on the grass. Or maybe it took me a while to get going on the grass, I don’t know which,” Minikus laughed. “Yesterday he was fifth in a nice competition and then obviously today he went great.”
“I watched the first couple riders go (in the jump-off) and there were some fast rounds,” Minikus detailed. “Then I was up in the warm-up ring flatting and all the likely suspects started showing up. When Eric (Lamaze) took the lead, for sure I knew it was fast, so I just tried to cheat every where I could and somehow it was good enough.”
The ‘Canada One’ Tournament continues on Saturday featuring a $34,000 Friends of the Meadows 1.45m competition in the morning followed by the $34,000 CIBC Cup 1.50m. For a complete tournament schedule and full results, please visit www.sprucemeadows.com.
Final Results: $34,000 Duncan Ross Cup 1.50m
1. $8,500 SIMON Dutch Warmblood / G / 16 Mr Blue x Polydox BEEZIE MADDEN (USA) CAZENOVIA, NY Abigail Wexner: 0/0/43.37
2. $6,800 ROYCE Oldenburg / S / 11 Cafe au Lait x Grandilot MARGIE ENGLE (USA) WEST PALM BEACH FL Elm Rock LLC: 0/0/44.67
3. $5,100 FLOWER Belgian Warmblood / M / 10 Bon Ami x Randel Z NINA FAGERSTROM (FIN) CUMERLAND, ON Finca Horses Inc: 0/0/46.32
4. $3,400 BABALOU 41 Oldenburg / M / 10 Balou de Rouet x Silvio I TODD MINIKUS (USA) LOXAHATCHEE, FL Two Swans Farm: 0/4/41.06
5. $2,380 SUMAS ZORRO Irish Sport Horse / M / 11 Ard Vdl Douglas x Unknown SAMEH EL DAHAN (EGY) BALLYCLARE Joanne Sloan-Allen & Sameh El Dahan: 0/4/43.41
6. $1,870 SRI ALADDIN Dutch Warmblood / G / 10 Quasimodo z x Burggraaf MEAGAN NUSZ (USA) HOUSTON, TX Amalya Investments: 1/76.44
7. $1,360 CZARDAS 30 Hanoverian / S / 12 Contendro x Grannus KIRSTEN COE (USA) ROYAL PALM BEACH, FL Lovsta Stuteri: 1/76.64
8. $1,020 ASD FARFALA / G / 12 Unknown x Unknown JOSE MANUEL IBANEZ (CHI) NUNOA Americo Simonetti: 2/79.04
9. $1,020 TEMBLA Zangersheide / M / 11 Tangelo van de Zuuthoeve x Cavalier KARL COOK (USA) WOODSIDE, CA Signe Ostby: 4/72.47
10. $850 DARLING Westphalian / M / 11 Cornet Obolensky x Gralshuter AINSLEY VINCE (CAN) MILTON, ON The Darling Group: 4/73.25
11. $850 VENTURO 9 Belgian Warmblood / S / 10 Canturo x Nabab de Reve SHANE SWEETNAM (IRL) WELLINGTON, FL Spy Coast Farm, LLC: 4/74.02
12. $850 TALENTO Warmblood / G / 15 Tanhonrosa x Unknown CARLOS MORSTADT (CHI) NUNOA, SANTIAGO Gissela Picasso Hafemann/ Plinio Picasso Sanguinet: 4/74.97
Final Results: $34,000 WestJet Cup 1.45m
1. $8,500 CON CAPILOT Westphalian / S / 12 Con Capitol x Pilot TODD MINIKUS (USA) LOXAHATCHEE, FL Nancy Gooding: 0/0/35.48
2. $6,800 ROSANA DU PARK Schwaben / M / 10 Kannan x Ukase ERIC LAMAZE (CAN) SCHOMBERG, ON Artisan Farms, LLC: 0/0/36.71
3. $5,100 EASY CONTACT HUMLAN Swedish Warmblood / G / 12 Unknown x Unknown SHANE SWEETNAM (IRL) WELLINGTON, FL Sweet Oak Farm: 0/0/37.38
4. $3,400 PUBLIC VIEW Rheinlander / G / 9 Prado x Landadel FRANCOIS ESTEVES (BRA) BRA Francois Esteves: 0/0/37.69
5. $2,380 G&C CLOSE UP Dutch Warmblood / G / 8 Eurocommerce Wastington x Cobra LUIS LARRAZABAL (VEN) WESTON, FL Gustavo Mirabal: 0/0/37.72
6. $1,870 ECKHAM VAN HET STEENTJE Belgian Warmblood / G / 11 Berlin x Kannan MARGIE ENGLE (USA) WEST PALM BEACH FL Elm Rock LLC: 0/0/40.16
7. $1,360 LEOVILLE 2 Bavarian Warmblood / S / 15 Landor S x Wettruf MEAGAN NUSZ (USA) HOUSTON, TX Amalaya Investments: 0/0/40.47
8. $1,020 REBECA LS Studbook La Silla / M / 9 Rebozo LS La Silla x Cassini I BRIANNE GOUTAL (USA) NEW YORK, NY Remarkable Farms LP: 0/0/44.21
9. $1,020 VANILLA Danish Warmblood / M / 13 Nabab de Reve x Clinton BEEZIE MADDEN (USA) CAZENOVIA, NY Abigail Wexner: 0/4/38.10
10. $850 HH MEMPHIS Irish Sport Horse / G / 9 Armitage x Cruising QUENTIN JUDGE (USA) WELLINGTON, FL Double H Farm: 0/4/38.82
11. $850 WKD DIVA Dutch Warmblood / M / 8 Balourado x T Hors La Loi II SAMEH EL DAHAN (EGY) BALLYCLARE Joanne Sloan Allen: 0/4/38.89
12. $850 WASHINGTON SQUARE Dutch Warmblood / G / 10 Quattro x Nimmerdor GEORGINA BLOOMBERG (USA) NEW YORK, NY Gotham Enterprizes, LLC: 0/4/39.95
Press release from Lauren Fisher for Jennifer Wood Media, Inc.
This photo has been added to your cart !Your shopping cart »