Starting off the third week of the Tryon Summer Series by making a major statement, Richie Moloney (IRL) and Alsvid took the first FEI class of the week in good form with a speedy jump-off round clocking in at 36.375 seconds to take the win at Tryon International Equestrian Center (TIEC). Kristen Vanderveen (USA) had a strong showing with both her mounts, finishing second and third aboard Bull Run's Eternal in 36.861 seconds and Bull Run's Faustino De Tili in 39.539 seconds, respectively. Tryon Summer 3 competition continues Thursday with the $34,000 Suncast 1.50m FEI Welcome Classic. The Tryon Summer Series will conclude on July 19.
Moloney has had a very successful run at TIEC, taking a huge win in the $210,000 Tryon Grand Prix for the Governor's Cup FEI CSI 4* on June 6 with Carrabis Z, owned by Equinimity, LLC. Aboard the seasoned Alsvid, a 2001 Hanoverian gelding, Moloney added another victory today besting a class of 31. The course, designed by Ana Catalina Harris (MEX), saw 15 pairs move forward to the jump-off, with only three double clear rounds.
"It was a nice course for the first day of the week and there was a good few in the jump-off I thought," said Moloney. "There weren't very many double clears and I thought it was a very good jump-off. It suited me because it fit very well with my horse. He excels with the tight turns and there was a tight turn back to fence one, which worked out really well."
Vanderveen was tight on Moloney's heels, piloting her two mounts to top-three finishes, but couldn't catch the Irishman. Alsvid has been knocking on the door with Moloney for quite some time, accumulating several top finishes during the winter circuit in Wellington, FL, but never taking the coveted top spot.
"He's fourteen and he's been in the barn since he was five. He's everyone's favorite," commented Moloney. "He's just the sweetest horse to work with, and he's great at these types of classes. We'll aim for a few more like this with him this season. He never was able to get those wins in Florida and I'm so happy that we were able to get it done today."
As the reigning FEI CSI 4* Grand Prix winner at TIEC, Moloney is looking for a repeat this weekend in the $210,000 Asheville Regional Airport Grand Prix FEI CSI 4*. "I'm looking forward to the Grand Prix this weekend. I'll have Carrabis Z and he did so well last time out in the CSI 4*. I'll definitely be looking for another win. It would be great to see him repeat the same consistency under the lights," noted Moloney.
"We've been showing a lot here and after next week we're taking three weeks off and then we're going to aim for the Hamptons, Gold Cup, Central Park then back here for the Fall Series," he explained. "It's great and we've had a good time here. The facility is just great and they're still improving things and making the show the absolute best it can be. It feels like home."
Final Results for $34,000 Tryon 1.45m Challenge:
1. ALSVID, 2001 Hanoverian gelding by Escudo I x Adonca RICHIE MOLONEY (IRL), Equinimity LLC: 0/0/36.375
2. BULL RUN'S ETERNAL, 2003 Belgian Warmblood gelding by Toulon x Corry KRISTEN VANDERVEEN (USA), Bull Run Jumpers One, Inc: 0/0/36.861
3. BULL RUN'S FAUSTINO DE TILI, 2005 Belgian Warmblood stallion by Berlin x Bijou van De Vijfheide KRISTEN VANDERVEEN (USA), Bull Run Jumpers Five, Inc: 0/0/39.539
4. URUS 2, 2005 Oldenburg Springpferd gelding by Canturo x Finja LIUBOV KOCHETOVA (RUS), Liubov Kochetova: 0/0/40.123
5. CASPER, 2006 Oldenburg gelding by Contender x Falubet SHARN WORDLEY (NZL), Sky Group: 0/0/45.805
6. CANTARA 59, 2006 Hanoverian mare by Cristo x Cassina SARAH SEGAL (USA), Horatio St. Ventures, LLC: 0/4/36.675
7. ESQUINA VAN KLAPSCHEUT, 2004 Belgian Warmblood mare by Thunder van de Zuuthoeve x Blendy van de Klapscheut LORCAN GALLAGHER (IRL), Alexander Devries: 0/4/37.164
8. TAMARA 296, 2003 Holsteiner mare Quintero x Konda I BRIAN WALKER (CAN), The Tomorrow Group: 0/4/37.187
Source: Press release from Tryon International Equestrian Center.
This photo has been added to your cart !Your shopping cart »